Thursday, September 17, 2009

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies

My husband has been asking me to make him some chocolate chip oatmeal cookies for a few weeks now so I decided to try a new recipe for this batch of cookies. The recipe I used is from Williams-Sonoma, Essentials of Baking book. This book is filled with all kinds of fantastic baked goods from homeade breads, pastries, pies, cakes and cookies.

Oatmeal is a commodity in my house. Not a day goes by that I don't fix my husband and I each a cup of oatmeal for breakfast every Monday-Friday with 2 large scoops of brown sugar on top. YUM! I love oatmeal so much that I even go to bed at night looking forward to my breakfast the next morning! It had been a while since I had made oatmeal cookies so I was excited to see how these would turn out.


Are you craving oatmeal yet...if so here is the recipe for you to make these cookies!

Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies
(Essentials of Baking, Williams-Sonoma)

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 2 cups raisins (instead of raisins, I substituted 1 cup of chocolate chips & 1 cup of chopped walnuts)
Directions:
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees
-In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
-Using an electric mixer, combine the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Beat on medium speed until smooth.
-Add the eggs and vanilla and beat on low speed until well blended.
-Add the dry ingredients and rolled oats and beat until incorporated. Mix in the raisins.
-Drop the dough by heaping tablespoons onto baking sheets, spacing the cookies 3 inches apart. -Bake the cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until they are evenly light brown and the tops feel firm when lightly touched, 15-20 minutes.
-Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer them to wire racks to cool completely.
-Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.



The cookies baked up perfect, light and fluffy. The cinnamon definitely added a nice punch of flavor. I had never tried cinnamon in oatmeal cookies before so it was a pleasing surprise when I tasted them.


3 dozen Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies ready to be eaten...ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails