Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Countdown to Christmas Day 1: Ice Cream Ornaments


Happy December 1st! I have been anxiously awaiting this day so I can start my Christmas baking. December is my absolute favorite month to bake during the year. As you all know from a post I did last week, I have created an Advent Calendar to use for my holiday sweets as I count down the 24 days to Christmas. Hopefully you all will enjoy the sweets I have chosen to feature on my blog over the next 24 days and will get some ideas for treats you can make for your holiday festivities this year.

Today was day 1 and underneath the first window of my homemade muffin tin advent calendar my first holiday treat was revealed "Ice Cream Ornaments". I love unique, bright and colorful ornaments especially ones with glitter that sparkle when the tree lights hit them. We got our Christmas tree on Sunday and last night we finished decorating it with all the ornaments. So I thought as you all are starting to decorate your trees as well it would be fun to make some homemade edible ornaments of your own!


Check out how cute these ice cream ornaments look! I saw this idea in a Breyers Ice Cream ad last year and thought it was such a unique idea that I had to re-create it myself. These would be perfect to use for a kids holiday party.

Ice Cream Ornaments

1 container (1 1/2 qt) Breyers All Natural French Vanilla Ice Cream
24 mini peanut butter cups
24 pieces (1 1/2 in. ea.) thin red licorice
multicolored sprinkles
  • Line a jelly-roll pan with aluminum foil, spray with nonstick cooking spray, and freeze at least 20 minutes.
  • Scoop ice cream into 24 firmly packed scoops; roll into balls.
  • Arrange on prepared pan; freeze 2 hours.
  • Meanwhile, make ornament hangers. Poke 2 holes in small flat side of peanut butter cups with skewer. Add licorice hanger by pushing ends into holes; freeze.
  • Roll ornaments in sprinkles.
  • Attach hanger by pressing onto top of ornament; freeze until ready to serve.
  • Makes 24 servings.

Here's a picture of our Christmas tree and a scene of one of the classic holiday movies with Clark Griswold in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. My husband and I are watching this movie right now as we are eating our ice cream ornaments! Holiday sweets, sitting in front of our tree and watching a Christmas movie, the night can't get much better than this!

Check back tomorrow for another holiday treat on Countdown to Christmas Day 2!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE ice cream during cold weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another cute idea. I love reading the commentary you share with us.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails