Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Cupcake a Week: 1-2-3-4 Cake with Marshmallow Creme Frosting


I can't believe it's already time for the third week of cupcakes in 2010! I was going through my collection of Paula Deen magazines this weekend, and writing down all the recipes I wanted to try this year and came across several really yummy cake ones. The recipe is called 1-2-3-4 Cake...sounds easy enough huh??? 1 cup of butter, 2 cups sugar, 3 cups self-rising flour and 4 large eggs...can't get any simpler than that. Of course there are a few more ingredients too, but this sounded pretty easy! And to top them off a batch of Marshamllow Creme frosting and some sprinkles of course!


Instead of the standard size cupcakes, I decided to make mini cupcakes this week. They are just so cute and bite size, you definitely can't eat just one. I just kept popping them into my mouth and before I knew it I had eaten 4 of them....but I figure that is probably the equivalent of 1 standard size cupcake right? You are going to LOVE these cupcakes, so hurry to your pantry and get out the 1-2-3-4 ingredients and whip up a batch now...I promise you won't be disappointed. These are some of the most moist cakes I have ever eaten and the marshmallow creme icing was simply delicious! I will definitely keep this cake and frosting recipe close by!

1-2-3-4 Cake (Paula Deen - May/June 2007 Magazine)

I made 24 mini cupcakes and two 6-inch cake layers with one batch of batter.

Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
3 cups sifted self-rising flour
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place mini cupcake liners in cupcake tin. (This recipe will also make three 9-inch cake layers)
  • Using an electric mixer, beat butter until fluffy. Add sugar and continue to beat well for 6 to 8 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour and milk, alternately, to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Add vanilla and continue to beat until just mixed. Divide batter equally among cupcake liners.
  • Bake mini cupcakes for 14 minutes. (If you are baking three cake layers bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until done).
  • Cool in pans for 5 to 10 minutes and then place on cooling rack. Cool completely and ice with Marshmallow Creme Frosting.

Marshmallow Creme Frosting (Paula Deen - May/June 2007 Magazine)

Makes about 2 1/2 cups

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (7 oz) jar marshmallow creme
2 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk

  • In a medium bowl, combine butter and marshmallow creme. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixter until smooth.
  • Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Beat in vanilla and milk until spreadable consistency is reached.

Yesterday was my friend Renie's birthday so I wanted to make her a special cake too with half of the cake batter! I had just bought some new round cake pans so I figured I would use my 6-inch round pan and make a 2 layer cake!


How cute is this little individual sized cake?


Marshamallow Creme looks yummy...now for some decorations!


My absolute favorite sprinkles are multi-colored non pareils...can't go wrong with these they are so colorful and festive!


And a personalized message on the cake board...Happy Birthday Renie!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails