Friday, March 12, 2010

Cupcake a Week: Banana & Chocolate


This recipe is for all you banana and chocolate lovers! I had 3 very ripe bananas that were staring me in the face this week just begging to be eaten. It seems every time I have ripe bananas I make the same old loaf of banana bread or a batch of muffins that I have made a thousand times. This week I wanted to switch things up a bit and try a banana cupcake! I even decided to get a little crazy and make them into a sandwich style cupcake filled with a layer of icing and another swirl of icing on top! Let me just warn you these can get a little messy when eating, but they are oh so worth it!


I have this fabulous cake book, Confetti Cakes that I used for the recipe. The book is crammed full of some of the most elaborately decorated cakes, cupcakes, cookies and yummy recipes I have ever seen. If you don't already own this book, I highly recommend picking up a copy! I find myself just thumbing through the pages regularly looking at all the details, techniques and vibrantly colored pages...talk about some inspiration on every page!

Banana Cupcakes (recipe from Confetti Cakes)

This recipe can be used for three 9-inch round cake layers, 1 half sheet (13 x 18 inches) or 24 cupcakes! (I cut this recipe in half because I only had 3 bananas and it still turned out moist and delicious)

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons baking soda
3 1/4 cups plus 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup unsalted butter
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
6 very ripe bananas

  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with paper liners or spray with cooking spray (I used cooking spray b/c I wanted to be able to slice the tops off my cupcakes and make them into sandwiches).
  • In a large bowl, sift together the baking soda and flour. Set aside.
  • Peel the bananas and mash them in a bowl. Set aside.
  • In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar and beat on medium speed until smooth.
  • Set the mixer to low speed and add the eggs, one at a time scraping thoroughly between each addition.
  • Add the sour cream and vanilla and beat until thoroughly combined.
  • Add the flour mixture in two batches, scraping down the bowl after each addition.
  • Add the bananas and beat until just combined. Do not overmix.
  • Divide the batter among the prepared pans. Bake for 18-22 minutes.
  • Allow cupcakes to cool. Using a serrated knife cut the tops off the cupcakes and swirl a layer of chocolate buttercream icing on the cake. Put the top of the cupcake back on and then swirl some more buttercream on top.
Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Over ripe bananas just have to be used for cakes dont they hehehe. Your cakes look delicious, banana & chocolate is always such a good combo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fantastic combination and recipe!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! What a fabulous flavor combination!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails