Friday, October 1, 2010

Cupcake a Week: Pumpkin Skewers

Happy October 1st! I can't believe it's already time to start thinking about pumpkin flavored sweets, Halloween costumes and the crazy amounts of candy that comes along with this month!

To start the month off right I'm excited to share with you another cupcake skewer idea I submitted to the Pizzazzerie contest last week! The winner has been chosen, and although my skewers didn't win, both my Cute as a Button and this Pumpkin Skewer idea were featured on the Pizzazzerie site! Be sure to check out some of the other great submissions over on their website for some Halloween and everyday cupcake skewer inspiration. I was so excited when I saw pictures of my cupcake creations!

For this round of cupcake skewers I made a batch of pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.

Then decorated the tops with a signature Fall pumpkin candy! These make cute mini cupcakes, but to make the actual cupcake skewer, before decorating there is an extra step you need to do first. So, as promised from last week's cupcake skewer post, I'm going to show you step-by-step how to put your mini cake on a stick!

First make a batch of mini cupcakes and remove the paper liners. Use a circle cutter that is slightly smaller than the width of your cupcake and press through the center of the cake.

Remove the excess cake from around the edges.

You are now left with a uniform round cupcake shape. Cutting the cupcakes with a small circle cutter ensures that all cupcakes are the same size and removes some of the weight of the cake so it sticks on the skewer better. Trust me, I learned this the hard way by first placing the entire mini cupcake on the skewer, the cake was too heavy and flimsy and the skewer poked right through the top of the cupcake. This was bad, very very bad!

Then add a dollop of icing on top.

Add a pumpkin candy for decoration! This just screams fall to me! These are cute enough to eat, even without the skewer!

Place a wooden skewer in the base of the cupcake and viola!

Since candy corns are a staple candy at pretty much every house around Halloween I thought it would be a fun idea to include it in the presentation for these cupcake skewers. By simply using a glass jar, filling it with candy corn and tying a coordinating ribbon around the outside you have a super cute, easy, affordable and festive DIY display for any Halloween dessert table or party center piece.

I'm looking forward to sharing more fun fall and Halloween treats with you! If you have any exciting baking projects lined up for October I'd love to hear about them!

Happy October!

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on having your pumpkin cake skewers featured on "Take the Cake" blog. That is real exciting. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute!!! and I love it when there are scraps leftover ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absoultely adorable! I love it.

    Next thing I love. . .your mom commenting under "mom", that is awesome! I love how she cheers you on like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yaaay! How cute! You are so creative. The cakes look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaww they're so cute! I'm trying to think of designs for halloween cupcakes but I want something really different and weird so im not quite sure yet.

    Great blog by the way :D

    http://sylviangirl.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails