Sunday, February 13, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!

Happy Valentine's Day! Wishing you a day full of LOVE and cupcakes!

I'm excited to share with you a new icing technique inspired by a photo my friend Mary Kendall sent me a few days ago. I just knew Valentine's Day would be the perfect occasion to create these sweet ruffled cakes. The icing is slightly more elegant than a traditional swirl iced cupcake, but is still super easy to do.

To create the ruffled look start with a Wilton petal tip #104 and a piping bag filled with frosting. By holding the wider end of the tip towards the center and the narrow pointed end of the tip to the outside of the cupcake, pipe a layer of icing around in a circle by gently wiggling the piping bag back and forth to create the ruffled look. Follow this same motion creating a 2nd and 3rd layer on top of the previous ruffles of icing. Finish off the look with a fondant topper to fit your special occasion, in this case the obvious choice was a heart for Valentine's day.

I am loving how the ruffled icing works so well when paired with a lace doily.


XOXOXO

10 comments:

  1. I love your 'lace doily' style icing too. It's so perfect! I don't think it's easy to do - but practice makes perfect as they say. For the meantime, I'll admire yours.

    Happy V Day

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it Lauren!! I'll have to try it soon---I chickened out last weekend and just went with the swirl :) Happy V-day~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute Lauren. Randolph was telling me about your site the other day. We missed you at the super bowl party! I footballs were amazingly good AND adorable! Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just saw these on Tastespotting, they're lovely. And happy birthday for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahaha.. obviously, everyone did the Red velvet cupcakes for Valentines.. me included..
    Love your piping on the cupcakes.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails