Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Mixed Berry Smoothie

Just in case you were wondering, my diet isn't made up entirely of cake and frosting! I know that is hard to believe since 99% of CIS focuses on butter, sugar, flour and more sugar! But truth be told I am very health conscious and eat a well balanced diet of fruits, veggies, proteins and carbs. I believe in eating a rainbow of colors in fruits and veggies and most mornings I start my day off with a huge bowl of fruit or my new favorite Mixed Berry Smoothie. I can't think of a more refreshing drink during these hot summer months than a fresh & fruity smoothie. Smoothies are the perfect way start to your day, make a healthy mid afternoon snack or can even be considered an after dinner dessert!

Fruit smoothies are such a wonderful source of vitamins and nutrients and the recipes can be easily adapted for your favorite fruits, juices and flavor combinations. My favorite smoothie right now includes strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries. I used a combination of both fresh and frozen berries for this recipe and I love the deep purple color produced. The magic of smoothies is that when berries aren't in season you can always use frozen. Don't like all the berries, swop in a banana or some peaches, the possibilities are truly endless.

Mixed Berry Smoothie
(makes 2 servings)

Ingredients:
-1 cup strawberries
-2 cups frozen mixed berries (I used raspberries, blueberries, blackberries)
-1 cup orange juice
-3/4 cup vanilla yogurt
-3 Tbsp honey

  • Place all ingredients in blender and pulse on high until combined.
  • Pour mixture into 2 serving glasses. Add a straw and some fresh berries on top and enjoy!

What's your favorite fruit smoothie flavor?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails